Indiana University, Bloomington Auxiliary Business Services
Student Complaint Process
Student Complaints- (FDCR.A.10.030 -Institutional Records of Student Complaints)
Date of Implementation: August 2018
The purpose of this document is to...
- Present an Auxiliary Business Services policy for addressing student complaints.
- Explain our procedures and processes for addressing how we review and resolve student complaints in a timely manner.
Definition of Terms
-Issue: An issue is a topic, situation, or problem for discussion and/or review by Auxiliary Business Services units.
-Complaint: A complaint is a statement that a topic, situation, or problem is unsatisfactory or unacceptable, and should warrant further investigation and response.
-Resolved student complaint: A resolved student complaint occurs after a university official completes the institutional section of the student complaint form. The student complaint is considered resolved whether the resolution was in the student's favor or not.
-University official: An employee of Indiana University, Bloomington.
Section I.A - Higher Learning Commission Policy FDCR.A.10.030 -Institutional Records of Student Complaints
In accordance with the Higher Learning Commission Policy FDCR.A.10.030 -Institutional Records of Student Complaints, Auxiliary Business Services at Indiana University Bloomington has established student complaint procedures. Indiana University is required by law to share information about the complaints with its accrediting agency, the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools; however, individual identities will not be revealed without the express permission of the complainant or as required by law.
Auxiliary Business Services will annually review the data to identify any trends/issues that warrant further investigation, revision to existing policies, etc. Information on these issues shall be compiled by the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education (OVPUE) for accreditations purposes.
Section I.B - Existing Formal Appeals Processes
If there is an existing appeals process in place, the student complaint is not required to be logged. Such existing appeals processes may assist in addressing an issue in a timely manner. Section II contains multiple avenues a student can seek to address an issue they may have with a particular Auxiliary Business Service unit.
Section I.C - Student Anonymity (Confidentiality)
If, for any reason, a student does not want to personally or directly contact a staff member to discuss a complaint, they may contact the person in the next highest level of authority, which would commonly be the supervisor. The student can request an appointment to meet with the supervisor or send an email description of the issue and request that their identity be kept confidential.
That request will be honored unless there are over-riding reasons to do otherwise. For example, if a student alleges sexual harassment by a staff member to the staff supervisor, the supervisor must forward that information, to include the identity of the complainant, to the Indiana University Police Department (IUPD).
Section II. - Process for Addressing Student Issues
When a student encounters a problem with a unit of Auxiliary Business Services or feels they have been treated unfairly, the student should first try to resolve the issue informally with a representative whose unit, department, or office directly intercedes with the student and the issue. Many issues can be resolved by making an appointment with an Auxiliary Business Services representative to discuss the issue(s) in a calm, patient, and respectful conversation leading to reasonable accommodations. What is the definition of an issue? An issue is a topic, situation, or problem for discussion and/or review by Auxiliary Business Services units.
Several units within Auxiliary Business Services have defined processes to respond to student issues directly related to their area, including, but not limited to:
Section II.A - Residential Programs and Services (RPS)
- Residential Programs and Services (general website)
- Problem or Grievance Resolution Procedure for Temporary Employees (Human Resources - student staff)
- Student Obligation and Responsibilities (General Policy/Procedure Information)
- Maintenance Requests for RPS Facilitates (Facilities)
RPS Restroom Care or Repair
RPS Pest Service
- Residency Exemption (Assignments)
- Application for Exemption (Assignments)
- Penalty (Assignments)
- A to Z Guide to Residence Hall and Furnished Apartment Living (Assignments)
- Living Learning Centers and Learning Community Fees (Residence Life)
- Guides (Assignments)
- Meal Plans (Dining)
- Wellness, Vegetarian and Vegan Diets, Food Allergies, Glutens, and Eat Right (Dining)
- Go Green, Recycling, Composting, Fresh and Local (Dining)
- Cost, Currency Converter, and Expenses (Assignments)
Section II.B - Parking Operations
- Parking Operations (general website)
- Permit Options
- Student Permits
- Visitor Permits
- Disabled Permits
- Bicycle and Motorcycle Permits
- Pay a Citation
- Appeal a Citation
- Event and Game Day Parking
- Free Parking
- Visitor Parking
- Disabled Parking
- Parking Signs
- Where to Park On Campus
- Campus and City Buses
- Walking and Biking Around Campus
- Motorist Assistance
Section II.C - Campus Bus Service
- Campus Bus Service (general website)
- Student Employment
- Student Transportation Board
- Additional Information
Section II.D - Early Childhood Education Services
Section II.E - IU Surplus Store
Section II.F - IU Fleet Services
- About Fleet Services
- Renting a Vehicle at IU
- Vehicle Rental for Student Groups
- Information to Know Before You Rent
- The Reservation Process
- Picking Up a Vehicle
- Leasing a Vehicle at IU
- Campus Commute
- Safety Escort
- Disabled Student Van Services
- Disabled Student Van Services, Reference Guide
Section II.G - Recreational Sports
-Student Recreational Sports Center (SRSC) Policies-
- Recreational Sports Center (SRSC General website)
- Recreational Sports Age Policies
- Identification Policies, Operational Policies, & Statement of Responsibility
- Cardio Studio Polices
- SRSC Center Court Area Policies
- CycleFit Studio Policies
- Counsilman/Billingsley Aquatic Center Locker Room Policies
- SRSC Multi-Sport 1 Policies
- SRSC Multi-Sport 3 Policies
- SRSC Racquetball, Squash, Wallyball, and Handball Policies
- Strength &Cardio Policies
- Circuit Strength Studio Policies
- SRSC Track Policies
-Wildermuth Intramural Center (WIC)-
- Wildermuth Intramural Center (WIC General website)
- Day/Week Pass Policies
- WIC Gymnasium 163 Policies
- WIC Gymnasium 169 Policies
- Royer Pool Policies
- Pool 194 Policies
- Wildermuth Track Policies
-Outdoor Fields & Spaces-
Section II.H - Bradford Woods
Section III. Student Complaint Criteria
Beyond these measures to address issues involves complaints. If a student is not satisfied after working informally to resolve the issue, or their issue does not fit into one of the above listed processes, the student may use the complaint form below to file a formal student complaint. A complaint is a statement that a topic, situation, or problem is unsatisfactory or unacceptable, and should warrant further investigation and response. The following criteria will apply to the complaint process:
- An individual currently enrolled full-time or part-time
- A person recently enrolled at the institution in the previous two semesters (when the underlying facts and circumstances of the complaint first occurred.)
- An alumnus/ae who earned a degree from the institution in the previous two semesters (when the underlying facts and circumstances of the complaint first occurred.
- Must be initiated and guided by the IU student affected
- A complaint form must be completed, click here to download the student complaint form
- Digitally signed/identified by student (not anonymous)
- Submitted via the Student Complaint Form, after the complaint could not be resolved informally at the individual/department level
- Not a request for a decision (e.g. roommate change, bill dispute, etc.)
- Not an appeal to re-examine a decision
- Not a grievance for which a defined process is provided, including but not limited to the processes listed above
Other individuals (parents, relatives, employers, members of the public, etc.) are welcome to contact units within Auxiliary Business Services for assistance and support in addressing concerns related to the complaint.
Residential Programs and Services (RPS) - contact information
- Administrative Offices: email@example.com 812-855-1764
- Apartment Assignments: firstname.lastname@example.org 812-855-6600
- Dining Services: email@example.com 812-856-1515
- Dining Services - Student Employment: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Learning Communities: email@example.com 812-855-1766
- Residence Hall Assignments: firstname.lastname@example.org 812-855-5601
- RPS Webmaster - for technical issues with the website only
Parking Operations - contact information
- Parking Operations: email@example.com 812-855-9848
- Parking Enforcement: firstname.lastname@example.org 812-855-9849
Campus Bus Service - contact information
- Campus Bus Service: email@example.com 812-855-8384
Early Childhood Education Services - contact information
- Early Childhood Education Services: firstname.lastname@example.org 812-855-5053
- Campus Children's Center: email@example.com 812-855-0789
- Campus View Child Care Center: firstname.lastname@example.org 812-855-3286
- Hoosier Court Nursey School: email@example.com 812-855-1091
- Knee High Co-Op: Contact Us 812-855-0150
- Sunflower Co-Op: Contact Us 812-855-0178
IU Surplus Store - contact information
- IU Surplus Store: firstname.lastname@example.org 812-855-2475
IU Fleet Services - contact information
- IU Fleet Services: email@example.com 812-855-3300
Recreational Sports - contact information
- Student Recreational Sports Center: firstname.lastname@example.org 812-855-7772
- IU Recreational Sports Tennis Center: Visit Web Site 812-855-5750
- Wildermuth Intramural Center: Visit Web Site 812-855-5222
- IU Outdoor Pool: Visit Web Site 812-855-9584
Bradford Woods - contact information
- Bradford Woods: Staff Information 765-342-2915
Section IV. Student Complaint Process
Once a formal student complaint under this process is received, an attempt will be made to resolve the complaint in a timely manner by working with the student and the appropriate Auxiliary Business Services employee(s) and/or offices to assure a fair process.
When appropriate, a complaint may be referred directly to the department involved. Complaints related to a specific academic college may be forwarded to the appropriate college Dean or academic department. All other academic complaints, or if the appropriate academic department cannot be determined will be sent to OVPUE. Please note a student's complaint might be forwarded to the department that it can best be addressed by.
If the student making the complaint has not heard from the auxiliary unit, or designee, within five business days of submitting a report, they should contact the Auxiliary Business Services representative directly at 812-855-5905.
It is important to note after a complaint has been reviewed and an outcome determined, a complaint may be deemed "resolved" even though a student may not be satisfied with the outcome.
In accordance with the Higher Learning Commission Policy FDCR.A. 10.030 - Institutional Records of Student Complaints, Auxiliary Business Services at Indiana University has established the above outlined student complaint procedures. Indiana University is required by law to share information about the complaints with its accrediting agency, the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools; however, individual identities will not be revealed without the express permission of the complainant or as required by law.
Auxiliary Business Services will annually review the data to identify any trends/issues that warrant further investigation, revision to existing policies, etc. Information on these issues shall be compiled into the OVPUE accreditation report and shared with the appropriate university office(s) for action.